Friday, June 26, 2009

Krauss Files

Lawrence Krauss has a good op-ed in today's WSJ. Here's how it starts:

My practice as a scientist is atheistic. That is to say, when I set up an experiment I assume that no god, angel or devil is going to interfere with its course; and this assumption has been justified by such success as I have achieved in my professional career. I should therefore be intellectually dishonest if I were not also atheistic in the affairs of the world.

-- J.B.S. Haldane

"Fact and Faith" (1934)

Last week, I had the opportunity to participate in several exciting panel discussions at the World Science Festival in New York City. But the most dramatic encounter took place at the panel strangely titled "Science, Faith and Religion." I had been conscripted to join the panel after telling one of the organizers that I saw no reason to have it. After all, there was no panel on science and astrology, or science and witchcraft. So why one on science and religion?

Read the rest.

(h/t: thprop)

1 comment:

TC said...

I read the whole article "live" in the WSJ this morning. It's quite good and not that long. Worth a read for sure.

ShareThis