Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Happy 5th Anniversary

(Updated below)

Via email from KK:

I just watched, for 2 and 1/2 hours, Part I of Bush's War on PBS. The second part is tomorrow, Tuesday. Nothing you didn't know, but spelled out in numbing details... the whole show is on PBS.org along with much longer interviews, etc. Recommended.

I just finished watching Part 1 on line. Part 2 airs on PBS tonight, and will probably be available on line soon after. I'll try to remember to post a link.

I disagree with "numbing." I would use "extensive." As KK says, most of you probably already have a fairly good sense of the big picture, but even a news junkie like me found the documentary well worth watching. There are a lot of threads that get tied together that weren't completely clear in my mind, and a lot of on the record statements by very senior people that I have not heard before.

While watching this first part, I kept imagining the screams of "bias" that would be emanating from a right-winger watching the same program. The thing is, the case presented is so overwhelming that there's really nothing to do except to fall back on Prof. Colbert's observation: the truth has a well-known liberal bias. Except for the fact that the nominal head of state remained in office, I don't know what else I would call the actions of Cheney and Rumsfeld except a coup d'état. It is just horrifying when you review the whole sequence of events between 9/11 and the eve of the invasion of Iraq.

So I guess I'd disagree with KK's "recommeded," too. I'd say "highly recommended," and "you have a responsibility to watch this."

__________


On a related note, the entire hour of this past weekend's On The Media was devoted to reviewing the media's role in, and shifting relations to, the invasion of Iraq. Also highly recommended, and also something I believe you have a duty to listen to.

Not really such a happy anniversary, it must be admitted.


Update

2008-03-26 08:47

Part 2 is now available for viewing on line.

No comments:

ShareThis