Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Another Piece of Childhood Ends

Via the Angry Professor, I just learned of the death of Arthur C. Clarke.

I came across this video of Sir Arthur, shot on or about his 90th birthday, a while back, on Thilina Heenatigala's blog:

(alt. video link)


Still had his wits about him, clearly. A pity his brain had to be stored in an imperfect vessel. Clarke gave me many, many hours of reading bliss, and not a small amount of hope regarding the human condition. He will be missed.

Added: Gerald Jonas of the NYT has a good obit.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Speaking of childhood ending, did you ever read "Childhood's End?" It was not one of his most famous or influential work, but it was my personal favorite. I don't really buy into the whole humanity will assume a cosmic consciousness conclusion (although I'm sure it'd be right up Bob Wright's alley, think Nonzero on steroids-- unless you've read it, that is) but I read it when I was very young and it made a huge impression on me.

Clarke (and Aasimov, and Bradbury, and others) were hugely influential in my becoming a scientist. Before I started reading non fiction books about Neurons for fun I read science fiction. He will be missed.

bjkeefe said...

Nice catch on the title.

Yes, I've read Childhood's End, many times. It's a good one, to be sure. I'd hate to have to pick just one; some of my other favorites are Fountains of Paradise, Imperial Earth, Rendezvous with Rama, Glide Path, and the first three of the Space Odyssey books. Many of his short stories were really good, too.

I'm also with you on Asimov. Bradbury I liked, but did not love. Heinlein is the third in my big three.

I don't think Clarke started was me pursuing math and science. I think I already was well down that path before I discovered him. But he sure helped encourage me along the way.

ShareThis