Friday, March 07, 2008

Get Me Rewrite

I just finished reading No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. (I have heard there is a movie out with the same name, but I have not seen it).

On the cover appears a blurb from the WaPo, probably an excerpt from their review, reading in part: "The most accessible of all his works."

Given this book's abhorrence of apostrophes in contractions and sheer refusal to use quotation marks around passages of dialog, I can only assume this means McCarthy's previous books were printed in four-point type, using yellow ink.

It was a pretty entertaining yarn, especially if you like a bleak mood and a high body count, which I do, but the affectation of improper punctuation really distracted me. If I have to struggle to read a piece of fiction for a reason like this, all it does is prevent me from losing myself in the story. I feel like the author is standing over my shoulder, saying, "Look at me! I'm writing! Aren't I clever?"

It's one thing to make mistakes on purpose when writing in the first person, a la Flowers for Algernon; it's quite another to do so when writing in the third. The narrator has the God's eye view, right? You'd think God would know something about proper punctuation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I passed on 'No Country' because of bad reviews. I read 'The Road' and thought it to be the most harrowing and memorable book I've read in a decade. (Please don't make me go back down in that basement again.)

bjkeefe said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Don. If I like it, too, then I'll try to remember to note that somewhere; i.e., I don't say that NCFOM was a bad book. Just an annoying rendering of a pretty good story.

jiminy jilliker said...

God does know about proper punctuation and I'd like to believe that he punishes those who misuse apostrophes especially severely. But then I'm not sure I believe in god, so it gets kinda complicated.

In other news:
"I can only assume this means McCarthy's previous books were printed in four-point type, using yellow ink" is an extremely well-turned phrase.
So you got that going for you.

Anonymous said...

the movie version of No Country is really good as well, the rumors are true

bjkeefe said...

JJ: Thanks (for the compliment).

Patrick: Thanks (for the recommendation).

ShareThis