Thursday, January 29, 2009

Peace Out: It's Not A Typo

While we're on that word power thing, I'm reminded that I came across another new-to-me one a couple of days ago, in a Daniel Larison post [emph. added, obvs.]:

… it means that President Obama was serious when he made irenic remarks in his Inaugural directed to Muslims …

It was obvious from context that Larison didn't mean to have typed ironic, but still, the word was so unfamiliar to me, it just looked wrong. I had to go scurrying for the dictionary Google. Turns out it means "promoting or conducive to peace."

That's a good word to add to anybody's vocabulary. Thanks, Daniel.

Oh, and by the way, you're not fooling me later on: I know controverial is a demonstration of your bad typing, although I have to admit, it almost looks like it should mean someone opposed to flight. Or car antennae.

No comments:

ShareThis