Tuesday, July 29, 2008

RealPlayer Security Update

Via Brian Krebs: A patch has been released to close four security holes (on Windows machines; just one on Linux and Mac machines). The patch applies to RealPlayer versions 10, 10.5, and 11.

To get the patch(es), open RealPlayer and do Help → About RealPlayer. In the pop-up window that appears, click "Check for Update." Note that the Help menu item may not be immediately obvious; if you don't see it next to the File and View entries on the Menu bar, then the Help entry is under the chevron (>>) entry.

I did the update for v10.5. It was a little tedious. Be sure to uncheck the box on one of the screens that says "Include Desktop Weather from The Weather Channel," unless you want this shovelware installed on your computer. Also, you'll either have to register, or sign in, if you've registered before, to complete the installation. Also, Real will offer to create shortcuts where you probably don't want them, and offers to become the "universal media player" for all kinds of audio and video files. So, don't just mindlessly keep clicking "Next" during the installation of the patch -- you'll need to pay a little bit of attention.

I'd like to get rid of this piece of software completely, but there are still a few sites that I like that only deliver their streaming content via Real. I tried watching a video on BookTV.org using VLC, for example, and only the audio came through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got to go with Nancy Reagan on this one and recommend you 'Just Say No.' Real is coming up on 20 years of crappy, malware-infested, insecure software that has always sucked harder than the black hole at the center of our galaxy. If I (rare) find a site that uses the junk, I send an email advising them why I skipped their offering. And I skip it.

RealPlayer is profoundly anti-human crapware. Do the world a favor and take a pass. And, pass it on.

bjkeefe said...

I agree with you, Don. Come to think of it, BookTV.org is the only site I can come up with where I still need Real. I'll try pestering them by email, but suspect they've heard this before.

Or, maybe I'll ask the VLC people if there's anything to be done about this specific site.

No disagreement about how crummy RealPlayer is, especially given how long they've had to get it right.

ShareThis