Thursday, July 17, 2008

Firefox Security Patch Released for v2 and v3

(Updated below)

Mozilla has released a security patch for Firefox. This brings the latest version to v.3.0.1. If you're still running version 2, the patch also applies, and will bring you up to v.2.0.0.16.

If you're not automatically notified, use Help → Check for Updates. I just did this (for version 3) and it went smoothly.

There are a few details, if you want them, in the release notes (click the plus sign next to "What's New in Firefox 3.0.1") and on Window Snyder's blog.


Probably minor note:

I did encounter one small side effect. As part of the update process, Firefox noted that one of my add-ons (PDF Download) was not compatible with this patch and disabled it upon restarting the browser after the update. I am actually running a beta version of a new release; i.e., this incompatibility may not present for the latest stable release. This add-on is distributed through the official Mozilla add-ons infrastructure, so even if the latest stable version is similarly disabled, you'll probably be automatically notified when it is updated.

More on this last bit as it develops (if I can remember making this promise).

[added] The latest stable version of PDF Download is, in fact, compatible with Firefox 3.0.1. I just confirmed this on another machine. I've sent a report off about the beta issue, nothing yet. Not that I'm drumming my fingers or anything.


Update

2008-07-21 08:49

I heard back from the people at PDFDownload.org. Problem solved. More details in a later post.

No comments:

ShareThis