Monday, July 21, 2008

PDF Download 2.0.0 Now Available

As I noted in an earlier post, the most recent version of Firefox, 3.0.1, marked the beta version of the add-on PDF Download as incompatible. I am happy to report that the nice people at PDFDownload.org let me know last night about the impending release of version 2.0.0 sans Greek letter, and sure enough, when I launched Firefox this morning, the update for this add-on was available. It installed without drama and seems to work fine.

If you have an earlier version of PDF Download installed and don't get automatically notified of the new version, do Tools → Add-ons and click the Find Updates button in the pop-up window. This also worked for me on another machine that still had v1.x installed.

Version 2 of PDF Download appears to be mostly a clean-up of a lot of existing features, along with updates to support newer browsers, but it does have at least one big new one, called "Web to PDF." This feature allows you to save a complete HTML page as a PDF file, which may be of use to some of you. I've tested it, and it works well -- pictures, fonts, layout are preserved. I don't have a regular need to do this, but I do like PDF Download as a streamlined alternative to the bloatware that is Adobe Acrobat. Or Reader. Or whatever they're calling it these days. My heart used to sink when I'd click on a PDF link while surfing. No more.

One last thing: if you want to play around with "Web to PDF" but don't want to install an add-on just to experiment, you can do that, too.

No comments:

ShareThis