Friday, September 26, 2008

Thunderbird Security Patch

Mozilla has released version 2.0.0.17 of Thunderbird. The new release closes several security holes, two of them rated critical. (Details)

If you don't have automatic updates enabled, do Help → Check for Updates.

I have automatic updates enabled, and I was notified while composing an email that the download was in progress. When it completed, I was notified to restart Tbird for the update to take effect. I finished writing the message, sent it, then clicked "restart now." Everything seems fine.

[Added] I just did the upgrade on another machine (via Help → Check for Updates), and noticed that the download is about 8 MB, as opposed to the more typical, several hundred KB, Mozilla patches. If you're on dial-up or a sketchy Wi-Fi connection, this may be worth knowing, though you should do the update as soon as convenient.

No comments:

ShareThis