Monday, February 16, 2009

Lines of the Day: 2009-02-16

The President, talking to reporters aboard Air Force One, late afternoon, this past Friday:

"The last point I would make, though, is that given the urgency of the situation right now, my consistent goal throughout this process is: Are we getting the most immediate, most effective relief possible to American families who are losing their jobs, losing their homes, losing their health care?," he said. "I welcome Republican participation in that process, but ultimately I'm answerable to the American people. And my determination was to get it done, and I think that we're going to get it done."

[...]

But he did say that he thought the GOP party-line vote was a fait accompli long before it was taken. "Look," he said, "once a decision was made by the Republican leadership to have a party-line vote -- a decision that I think occurred before I met with them -- then I'm not sure that there was a whole host of things that we were going to do that was going to make a difference.

[...]

"Going forward, each and every time we've got an initiative I'm going to go to both Democrats and Republicans and I'm going to say, here's my best argument for why we need to do this."

Asked whether his experience had changed his expectations of winnable Republican support or how he might win it, he responded sagely. "You know, I am an eternal optimist," he said. "That doesn't mean I'm a sap."

A grownup in charge. What's that all about?

(h/t: Andrew Sullivan)

And on a closely related note, see Oliver Willis's great post: Yeah, He Did.

For hilarious coverage of the petulant children, see James Wolcott: Day of the Jackal, Night of the Living Dead.

No comments:

ShareThis