Sunday, February 15, 2009

People Like Me?

Shown at right is the ad that greeted me when I logged into Facebook and visited my own profile page.

I mean, I'll be the first to brag that I do as much for a short off-the-shoulder dress as any man my age, but …

This is another in a series of happenstances that makes me think we have a long way to go before we need to worry about web tracking software being capable of profiling us accurately. Which, it must be emphasized, is the primary reason to be violently opposed to programs like TIA, or whatever they're calling it these days.

But wait. Maybe there's a happier way to look at this. What if web tracking software really is getting scary good, and that ad is not aimed at me, but at the sort of people Facebook thinks visit me?

Know hope!

2 comments:

bjkeefe said...

Don't even think about posting a comment that says, "The only reason that ad had a pretty woman in it was to get you to read it, ya moron!"

That's totally not what's going on.

Beth said...

Love your optimism - your happy, glass-is-half-full outlook on life.

(Never occurred to me to comment as to you being a moron!)

ShareThis