Saturday, February 14, 2009

More Hammering on the Theme

Here's Pat Condell's latest video. If you know Pat, you knew he wasn't going to let recent events go unremarked upon.

(alt. video link)

I always think Pat goes one step farther than I would, and I sometimes think he should make a little bit more of an effort than he does to be clear that he's not speaking about Muslims in general. (Not so much the case in this one.) Nonetheless, if we ever have to choose sides, and rarely does a day go by when I don't fear that we someday will, I will stand with Pat Condell.

I mentioned in an earlier post about Geert Wilders my view that one of the consequences of suppressing criticism of religion, as with anytime that free speech is restricted, is that more extreme speech rushes in to fill the void. The demand by certain individuals that criticism of religion be silenced, especially at the hands of the state and especially by threatening violence, is just going to exacerbate matters. When you tell people to shut up, the ones most likely to obey are the polite ones, the ones most likely to be interested in give and take and in giving rebuttals an honest listen. This is something for moderates of all stripes to keep in mind, from liberals too quick to fall for claims of "persecution" to people of faith who sit silently while professional outrage junkies purport to speak on their behalf.

__________


Visit Pat Condell's YouTube channel to see more of his videos. He also has a site where you can download audio-only versions.

[Added] If you haven't already seen it, you might gain some context by watching Geert Wilders's short film, Fitna. It's about sixteen minutes long.

2 comments:

John Evo said...

I almost posted this video (as I have a couple of Pat's videos in the past). One of us had to!

bjkeefe said...

Heh. Yeah. I'm tempted to post almost every one of Pat's videos as they come out. He gives voice to a lot of my own worries.

ShareThis