Friday, February 20, 2009

Now That's Pedantry I Can Believe In!

If you know me, you'll be unsurprised that this footnote from Daniel Davies amuses me to no end:

[12] Which is as good an opportunity as any to make my periodic plea about “comparing apples with oranges”. Apples and oranges are really very similar things indeed. If I’ve got three apples and you’ve got two oranges, who out of us has got the most fruit? The answer is “it’s me”, isn’t it, not “who can say, you can’t compare apples with oranges”. They’re roughly the same size, roughly the same calorific value and roughly the same price. You can compare apples to oranges, in as much as you can make comparisons at all. Also, the darkest hour is not just before dawn.

[Update] Science!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it.

Look forward to suggestions for an appropriate replacement.

"comparing apples and flowers" perhaps?

Or: "comparing apples and station wagons" ?

Or: "comparing apples and pedantry" ?

ShareThis