Thursday, July 08, 2010

And speaking of Nieman Journalism Lab ...

... as I was at the end of last post, this is clickbait to me: a table titled "Most frequently looked-up words on NYTimes.com, 2010 : Jan. 1 to May 26, 2010."

Snippet:

A year ago, we ran a post on the 50 words that New York Times users looked up the most often, using the dictionary tool on NYTimes.com. We ran the post because we thought it was an interesting window into the kind of ambient data that news organizations can assemble from their users’ behavior — data that can then be put to use in better tailoring the product to users’ needs.

Aw, who am I kidding? We ran the post because we’re a bunch of word nerds and we thought it was really neat. It’s since become the most popular post in the history of our little website.

And so therefore, they're doing it again, because the NYT has released its new list! Hurrah!

As a minor cynical aside, because that's how I do, it occurs to me that this list also serves as a nominating tool, in a few cases, for an Overused And So Must Be Banned word list. Yeah, I'm looking at you, sui generis.

No comments:

ShareThis