Sunday, August 10, 2008

Backing Up Your Blog

I just noticed a post on the Blogger in Draft blog, dated 26 June 2008. It looks like the Blogger team is working on tools to export and import an entire blog in one shot, comments included. This is something I've wanted to have for a while now, and I know other people do, too.

Be aware that this is a work in progress, so there are some known bugs; e.g., there is a limit to the size of the blog that you can import. But, if you're like me and you think that you can never have too many ways to back things up, you may want to look into this -- you could be saving your whole blog right now.

I haven't played around with this yet, or looked around further. There may be information newer than that post. (Some of the comments on that post are useful.) I expect to give this a test drive shortly, and will report more then. If you get to it before me, I'd appreciate hearing how it went. Leave a comment or send me an email. Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, and they're using Atom too. This is something I was thinking about once, but didn't carry through.

It's kindof scary to think of the amount of data that is un-backed-up, and by that I mean sitting on someone else's server.

bjkeefe said...

Something else to look at.

ShareThis