Monday, November 03, 2008

Sully's Eve

Andrew Sullivan, in a break from his regular burst blogging, collected his thoughts into a long essay: a combination of a reflection on the past eight years, his own journey through them, and his closing argument for tomorrow. They center around this:

If I were to give one reason why I believe electing Barack Obama is essential tomorrow, it would be an end to this dark, lawless period in American constitutional government.

Dark, but good. Go read. I can only hope more conservatives follow his path.

Oh, and he'll be on Colbert tonight, he sez.

4 comments:

John Evo said...

Excellent work by Sully. Equally a terrific endorsement and call for prosecution of Bush and Cheney. We can't just let this go. I know it will be hard on the nation, but justice needs to follow. Just "going back" to being "the good guys".

bjkeefe said...

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want a witch hunt -- I'm hoping for a truth and reconciliation approach -- but we do need to get the story out there. I'll trade immunity for openness, and vengeance for the long-term health of the country, but I really do hope the past eight years aren't just swept under the rug.

John Evo said...

Yes, yes. I'm not looking for vengeance. The story out there with a public repudiation and an apology to the world (and the American people) by President Obama, along with one of his terrific speeches, in which he could re-outline the American Dream, would be all I need. I'd love to see him restore the Constitution and lecture the ignorant of our society on what he has just done FOR THEM.

bjkeefe said...

That's a great picture to hold in one's mind.

ShareThis